Displaying Full Message Headers in Microsoft Outlook (Windows)
Not all email you receive can be trusted. Viewing full message headers allows you to see where messages originate. This information is often needed by security and support specialists to help locate the source of spam or other specific email issues.
You can display full headers by double clicking on a message so it opens in a separate window (not the preview pane).
- Start Outlook.
- Double-click the message for which you want to view full internet headers.
- Click Options (2007) or Tags (2010/2013).
- The Message Options dialog box is displayed. The internet headers are shown in the Internet headers field at the bottom of the dialog box.
How to Forward Header Information to FSU Abuse:
- Copy the Internet headers (from the above information): into memory:
- Click anywhere in the Internet headers: box.
- Press Ctrl-A (OS X: Command+A)
- Press Ctrl-C (OS X: Command+C)
- Forward the offending message.
- Enter "email@example.com" into the To: field.
- Paste the complete header copied into the body of the forwarded message.
- Click your mouse in the body of the message.
- Press Ctrl-V (OS X: Command+V)
- Send the message.