Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find some of our more commonly asked questions
Students - Distance Learning - Assistance:
FSU's Office of Distance Learning is working hard to provide information to students to assist with the transition from on-campus to distance learning. To assist with this, they are working to update this information online at the following webpage.
FSU Office of Distance Learning - Student Information Page: Student Guide
Tips for Learning Online:
This page outlines skills and includes links to some tools that can assist while working from remote locations.
Canvas - Tips for a Better Experience:
Having trouble with Canvas and want to try and figure it our on your own? You do not necessarily need to contact your instructor regarding simple technical issues! If there is something more serious, FSU ODL Technical Support specialists will let you know when it is important to contact your instructor.
Library - Accessing Resources from Off Campus:
With the transition from on-campus to distance learning, faculty, staff and students would like to know how to access resources from FSU's libraries. Here is an excellent resource that outlines this for those who need information.
Accessibility Information for Online Learning Accommodation:
For information and assistance provided by the Office of Accessibility, check out.
Student Support Services:
FSU offers a broad range of services to support you. These services include tutoring, accessibility services and stress management.
CASITS - Services:
Bomgar - Remote Control of Systems:
What to expect during data backup:
Data backup is a multi-step process. Outlined below is a common approach. Depending on the exact situation, this outline may vary.
It is not uncommon for the entire process can take a few days to complete. Sometimes complications can require the process to take longer. It will be required for the user to reconfigure and setup applications as they were previously on the computer. Example, if you have created subfolders in your email, this organization will need to be recreated by you after the backup process is complete. There may be practical limitations on what we can assist with.
1st. The user’s folder and all of its subdirectories will be backed up exactly as they are found. Any known malware will be filtered out and will not be copied over. One copy will be archived for six months.
2nd. The data will be copied back to a working location. We will be required to be log in on your user account! The reason for this relates to the security of the Operating System.
3rd. Still logged under your login, data can be manually moved back to the respective locations it once resided in.
Aruba VIA (VPN):
Cisco AnyConnect (VPN):
Renewal of Licenses (Windows and Office):
- NOTE: this only applies to Windows Operating System Computers
- How to - Renew a License using BATCH file (Windows and Office)
- How to - Renew a License (Windows and Office)
- How to - Install Adobe Creative Cloud
FAQ by Operating Systems:
Apple iOS Devices:
- FSU's Guide to the iPad (pdf 274.67 kB) (rev. 10/24/2011)
Apple macOS Devices:
- FSU Mandatory Password Reset - FAQ
- How to - Connect to Network Folders
- How to - Change macOS Local User Password
- How to - Change the Default Application on Mac OS X
- How to - Copier - Enable Account Tracking
- How to - Fix Gaps on Desktop - Unable to Move Icon
- How to - Forget a Wireless Network
- How to - Mail - Connect to FSU Exchange Server
- How to - Reset SMC (System Management Controller)
- This is for a variety of issues, see the 'Indicators' section.
Adobe Creative Cloud (aka. CC):
Cloning Software (hard drive imaging):
- Open Source Windows (32-bit/64-bit versions):
- ODIN (Open Disk Imager in a Nutshell)
- First time use - Account setup.
- Select docusign.fsu.edu
- Enter your full FSU email and password.
- When re-directed to FSU, enter your FSU ID and Password (with out the @fsu.edu)
Example Youtube video:
- Example Youtube Video: Fill out a DocuSign form linked from an email.
OneDrive for Business (QuickStart):
- Google Chrome Browser:
Zoom for Instructors and Students:
- How to Keep Uninvited Guests Out of Your Zoom Event
- Zoom Troubleshooting and FAQ for Instructors and Students
- Thank you Department of Mathematics!
- When saving a Zoom chat, where is it?
- Quick answer: Go to Documents folder, then Zoom folder, and then Folder with meeting name, date and time.